Ebellbanner logo

Corporate Events, Dinner Parties, Launch Parties, Social Events, Filming Location, Fundraisers, Proms, Graduation Parties, Celebrations of Life & Weddings *Full Service Catering and Bar Services Available

The-Ebell-Club-of-Long-Beach_thumbAdrian Bell, born September 10, 1840 of English and Dutch ancestry, was brought to America while very young by an older sister who had married an American missionary. He was educated at Easthampton and Yale and later at German Universities. Always deeply interested in a wider horizon for women everywhere and their opportunity for higher education, Dr. Ebell inintiated the organization of study classes for women in the eastern part of our country.

He made a visit to California in 1876, and while here organized a class in Oakland. He was returning to Europe to further his plans for an international academy of sciences, art, music, and languages when he stricken with fever and died at the age of thirty-seven. Shortly thereafter, the name Ebell was taken by the Oakland chapter or “club”.

Built in 1924, The Ebell Club of Long Beach is a beautiful example of Churrigueresque-style architecture. Its lavish, sculptural facade dates back to Spanish Architect Jose de Churriguera (1650-1723) who developed the style that is characterized by the play of light and shade through lush cement ornamentation.

Ebell-Facade_thumbThe Ebell Club was originally built as an exclusive social club for women in Long Beach. No expense was spared during its construction. From the polished marble entry, to the rare teak paneling, and the airy dining and reception rooms, the club quarters are a statement of a classic California elegance. In 2003 the Ebell Club was fully and carefully restored to its original beauty.

After Meeting in a club house on the corner of Daisy and Ocean Avenues from 1905 to 1919, the first house was sold to make way for the current Ebell Club at the corner of Cerritos and Third. Built in 1924, the building was partially destroyed in an eathquake on March 10, 1933. The rededication on December 4, 1933 found the courtyard covererd with skylights where it had previously been open air, and a center fountain was not replaced.

View our portfolio of beautiful room settings, each redesigned and updated uniquely to meet the desires of the bride and groom. Our friendly and highly professional staff will work with you to plan the wedding of your dreams. We also are available for rehearsal dinners, engagement parties, showers, and bachelor and bachelorette parties.